The National Heritage List for England (NHLE) is the only official, up to date, register of all nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England – listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields.
Halton House, Halton, Buckinghamshire
An aerial view of Halton House, which is set in extensive grounds. The house was built in 1881-4 by William Cubitt & Company for Lord Rothschild. It is in the ‘French chateau’ style. It was later bought and extended by the RAF.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2020
SP 81 SE 5/83
HALTON UPPER ICKNIELD WAY Halton House
II* Country House. Since 1919 RAF Officer’s Mess. 1881-83 by W R Rogers of Cubitts for Alfred de Rothschild, son of Baron Lionel de Rothschild, head of the British branch of the Rothschild international banking dynasty. Lionel de Rothschild bought the Halton Estate from Sir George Dashwood in 1853, including the manor house (no longer extant) close to the church, the grounds around it and parkland north of the Grand Union Canal. Baron de Rothschild was elected to the House of Commons in 1847, however as a practicing Jew was unable to take his seat as a Member of Parliament until 1858. The Baron died in 1879, soon after which his son, Baron Alfred (d 1918), began to build a house on a completely new site, previously agricultural land, 600m east of the church.
French Renaissance style, ashlar stone with steep slated roofs, iron crestings and finials, chimneys with cornices and pediment caps. Segmental pedimented dormers and oval windows to central bays, large open domed cupola to centre of garden front.